Friday, November 26, 2010

Your Life Experiences Don’t Make You an Expert

We all go through things in our lives but that doesn't make you an expert. My experiences don't make me an expert on being a parent or a wife; they do allow me to be able to offer advice on what has worked for me. When I give advice, I don't expect the person to do the exact same thing I did. I just want to offer that person an option. People ask advice because they really just want options. You cannot go into a conversation like you know everything. Sometimes it's good just to listen. You can learn a lot from people, even if you don't think you can. I am wondering how a person can come to the conclusion that you know everything when the reality is you have only hit the tip of the iceberg. I have only lived one life which means to me that every other person has been through something that I may never have. I know that some people just don't get that and think their life experiences make them an expert on everything. That to me is sad because it means that you are learning from one point of view. Simply put sometimes it's good to just shut up and listen. But hey you can't make everyone listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment