Saturday, June 29, 2013

We Need To Change

A friend on Facebook shared a post one of their friends made. In a nutshell, they basically asked the question: How can we expect those of other races to respect us if we don’t respect ourselves? This is concerning the fallout of Paula Deen using then n-word supposedly only one time many years ago and how people on social media sites have gone after the young lady who was the last one to talk to Trayvon Martin. She is a young woman who is 19 and still in high school and admittedly cannot read cursive writing. I have chosen not to look up what is being said about the young lady but I am quite positive that people have been pretty harsh. So I think the bigger question that needs to be asked why cannot she not read cursive writing? Then my next question is that a skill that we really need to have? I mean let’s take an honest look at this. We rarely write letters anymore. We don’t use cursive when we do write. None of the social media is in cursive. Everything is in print not cursive so is it really bad that she can’t read cursive? I wonder what has happened in her life that she is still in high school. Is she the product of a broken home or a subpar school system. I think it is really sad that the first thing that most people can do is point out her short comings and harp on them. None of us are perfect and I am sure that if we were in her same position that we would not be at our best. It is so easy for folks to hide behind social media and talk down on someone but it could be just as easy to show support. So I ask the question again, how can we expect others to respect us if we attack a young sister who is in a difficult situation?
I think we need to reevaluate how we treat each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment